Monday, August 13, 2012

Camping in Derbyshire

Last weekend John, James and I ventured out for the first time since James has been mobile. It was Johns birthday on Friday so after presents (framed photos) and posting parcels we set off for Taddington near Bakewell. The car was loaded to bursting point we took the cot mattress, pans, cooker, teddies, balloons everything we could think of. James was in a very precarious place in the car, every time he moved something fell on him. Luckily he slept most of the way there. We stopped off at Bakewell, which is a place I love. It is so quaint, with the river running through and the ducks. It is a shame that lots of other people love it too as it was really busy. We brought some sandwiches, found a bench (people kept walking past eyeing us up to see if we were moving) near the river. While we were there we visited The Old House Museum, it was OK. Full of displays things from the past.

The Campsite, Waterloo Hotel, was disappointing. The field was sloping and grass was long. Luckily we took James waterproof  and weelies as he would have been soaked in the mornings. The toilet block was poor as well, only 2 showers which also had the toilets in them and they were wet rooms, so the floor was always damp. James enjoyed digging in the mole hill and having a go on the trampoline. We cooked the first night, pasta and tomato sauce. James settle down in his pushchair about 9ish we then transferred him to the tent. John and I celebrated by drinks Stag whisky.

However, James didn't settle down around 4am, before it was even light he woke up, smiled at where he was and started pointing at things going 'dat dat' I'm pleased he didn't cry but four hours later he still wasn't asleep. I stayed awake with him til 6, then, because he was getting fed up being in the tent John got up and took him for 2 long walks, while I napped. I don't work well without sleep and was very grumpy in the morning. It was a very mist, damp morning. We deciced to head to Buxton for breakfast. As soon as we set off James fell asleep in the car, typical. We couldn't find anywhere is eat, so continued to Dovedale. Had a sandwich there and a coffee, felt much better after that. Dovedale was pretty. It brighten up about 11 so on went my shorts. John climbed Thorpe Cloud while James slept. He paddled the river and got wet as it gets quite deep in places. James had a paddle, at first he didn't like it. I think it was the stones under his feet. It was also very cold. He enjoyed throwing stones in the river making splashes. Later he had a paddle with his shoes on and got on much better, in fact he didn't want to get out.We had dinner in the pub instead. Then took James for a walk in his buggy hoping that he would fall asleep. Then we went back for a drink and a read. James slept much better and didn't wake til gone 6am.

On Sunday we went to Chatsworth farm park. There wasn't many animals there but there is a huge play area. Including 2 big sandpits which had water play trough in them. James got through 2 sets of clothes. He loved it. We really must take him to the beach more often. He also enjoyed the old tractor you could play on.


No comments: