Thursday, October 10, 2013

Fashion Rut

On Friday we are going to a wedding. I love weddings. Weddings are a time to catch up with family you never see as often as you like, to get a little tipsy, to dance to cheesy music and to get dressed up. However, this wedding has brought with it the panic of 'what to wear.'

I have never been or ever had the inclination of wanting to be fashionable. Pre-children I was fairly confident in my clothing choice. I knew (apart from the odd faux pas) what suited me and tended to stick with it. Unfortunately, after spending 3 years either being pregnant or breastfeeding, I am suffering a fashion meltdown and I am not longer confident in what I wear or how I look. Yes, my body has altered since having children but that isn't the issue. The problem is that I just don't know whether something suits me or not any more. As a result I tend to stick to all favourites, which probably have seen better days. I now  find clothes shopping a chore and often end up buying the same top/trousers/shoes in a slightly different colour. I have a tendency to buy clothes at the same time I do my supermarket shop. I need to get out of this rut but not sure how.

I have brought a new dress (see picture) for the wedding, along with a shrug, belt and gorgeous new shoes, which I can't walk in. I tried it on altogether this morning. John says I look lovely, but I'm not convinced. Is the belt too blingy? Is red the wrong colour for a wedding? Do red and navy go together? Is my dress a bit frumpy? I think I might just sit in the corner and drink until I don't care what I look like.

No comments: